Monday 10 November 2008

A week closer

The first week of phase 2 has gone well, despite some awful weather. Managed to get in 72 miles. Started with 18 miles on Sunday, followed by 8 miles before work on Monday (one of the advantages of being semi-retired!). Wednesday saw a "quality" run. 8 miles in total with the 4 miles either side of a warm up and cool down at increased pace. Did wonder if it may have been a bit too far and fast for my first tempo run for a few months but went very well and felt very comfortable. Did a further 8 miles on Thursday.

Friday saw my first long day walking with a back pack. Set off with about 13 lbs on my back at just after 8. Initially walked with my two training companions - Della and BB; but as they are boxer dogs they won't be doing the MdS with me. Did just over 2 miles and returned home and then set off immediately retracing my steps through Todderstaffe Farm and across the fields to Poulton. Then via Breck Road I headed to River Wyre and walked along edge of river through Stannah and behind ICI at Thornton. Headed West to the sea front at Cleveleys and then walked - partly on beach and partly on Promenade to Squires Gate. Headed back inland through Marton and around golf course at De Vere, and then via Staining to home. Set off again with the dogs for a final 2 miles.

The aim was to be on my feet for about 8 hours. Turned out to be 7 hours and 40 minutes - didn't have the energy or enthusisam to carry on for another 20 minutes. Had expected to do about 27 or 28 miles in 8 hours and was pleased that actually did 30 miles in the time I was out. Over the last 2 hours or so my legs and back were screaming at me to stop. Realised I should have been walking at a slower pace and so reduced speed, as main purpose of the exercise was to be on my feet for a long spell, not to cover as far as possible in the 8 hour time period.

After a soak in the bath (can't remember last bath as I prefer showers), I actually had a lie down on my bed for an hour or so as had to recharge my batteries for a bonfire party that night. Not sure standing for 3 hours was the best way to end the day.

Saturday was a complete rest day - and needed. And so to another hopefully high mileage week!

No comments: