Sunday 28 December 2008

A LOW MILEAGE CHRISTMAS

Last week was a low mileage week - not because it was Christmas but because every 4th week I reduce my mileage. Would like to suggest that I had planned for it to coincide with Christmas week - but am not that organised and it was just a fortunate coincidence. Still did about 30 miles and had a back pack weighing about 7.5 kgs for all the runs - and am glad to say felt comfortable.

The previous two weeks had been 77 and 88 miles (the most I have done in one week). The first week of the two was slightly lower than originally planned. On the Sunday I was staying at my brothers and although I got up at 7 and set off in sub zero temperatures I only had time for 18 miles. The final run / walk on the Friday was 31 miles instead of about 35 but that was because I travelled out to Inglewhite and trained in some more hilly conditions, so got the benefit of the ascent and descent which is missing on the Fylde Coast.

The second week went very well and ended up with a 36 mile session in 8 and a half hours and carrying 8 kilos. I was really pleased with this -although could have done with more than 90 minutes to eat, shower and recover before setting off for the work night out!

Santa was very kind last week and got almost all the kit that I need for the MdS. The arrival of the kit, the posting of the list of competitors on the web site and the request for final instalment payment is making it all very real and very imminent - 13 weeks today I will hopefully have completed the first day. Am looking forward to it and as long as the training continues to progress and I stay injury free I feel it is within my ability to do it.

As far as training goes am making some final adjustments for the next 9 or 10 weeks before I start to taper. Instead of doing a long session on Friday and a rest day on Sunday am planning to do back to back sessions on Friday and Saturday with a rest day on Sunday. Will hopefully do a walk / run session on Friday of between 25 miles (if hilly) and a maximum of 40 miles (if on the beach or flat) and 20 to 24 mile runs on Saturday. The back to back runs will help to mimic the reality of the event when eventually get to the Sahara - minus the heat of course.

More sponsorship money coming in - although a bit slow and am not sure I will get as much as I had hoped for - I think the general economic climate isn't helping but still some time to go so hopefully will pick up.

No comments: