Thursday 1 January 2009

END OF YEAR AND NOW FOR MDS YEAR

That's another year gone - and now it's getting seriously close to MdS.

Despite the weather I was pleased with my last run off the year. Did a 10 miler in sub zero temperatures and freezing fog, carrying 8kgs at an average pace of 11mins 40 per mile. Seemed ironic to be dressed in some of the gear I wore for Antarctica and the Arctic Circle when I am trying to prepare for a race in the Sahara! I really didn't want to set out for this last run of the year in such horrible conditions - but have to put the training in if I am going to fulfill my ambition of finishing MdS.

The year also ended on a reasonably good note in regard to injuries. Don't want to say too much and tempt fate but relatively injury free. Have been troubled for the last 2 or 3 months with relatively severe pain in my left foot. At first I was really concerned in case it was the beginning of a stress fracture, which would probably have been the end of my hopes of running in 2009. Kept training without any deterioration and eventually realised I had a Morton's neuroma. That's a swelling of the nerve between two toes giving localised pain and pain into the adjacent two toes. Was very painful if I walked on hard surface in bare feet and could feel the swelling between the toes. Decided I would just have to ignore the pain and get on with my training as I was not keen on an injection and again knew that if I went for surgery I would not be able to recover and get the training in in time for March. Fortunately for some reason it has started to improve a little over the last two weeks - so hope it will be OK.

Have booked my hotel at Gatwick now for 25th March (night before we fly out) and actually leave Gatwick 12 weeks today! Almost all my kit sorted apart from first aid kit and wet wipes etc. Have still to make final decision about which socks to run in and what shoe size to go for. It is all feeling very close and real.

Couple of days of hard training tomorrow and Saturday - am planning to head to Lakes and do part of The Dales Way tomorrow to get some hills in and a change of scenery and then a beach run on Saturday. Just hope the weather is not as tough as yesterday!

No comments: