Saturday 9 August 2008

TREADMILL BOREDOM

This weeks training ended today with a 14 mile endurance paced run. Got up and ready to set off this morning when the skies opened with torrential rain. Decided to wait for it to ease off - but it didn't - may have some sand storms in Sahara but no rain like this fortunately. Eventually decided to run on my treadmill. I find this so boring and was tempted to stop more than once but managed to do the planned 14 miles - the furthest I have ever run on a treadmill in one go.

Completed the planned 40 miles this week - a deliberately relatively low mileage week! Well it is in comparison with 65 miles last week. The plan is to reduce the miles every 4th week and then increase over the next 3 weeks so that in the final week I am running further than in my last week of the previous 4 week cycle. So that means 50 miles this week, 60 miles next week and then 70 miles before dropping back to 40 miles. Hopefully may help to reduce the risk of injuries.

The bag which I am planning to run with arrived this week. A Raidlight Sac Runner. It seems very small if it's going to hold everything I need for a week. It's a 30 litre capacity bag. I may regret that in April when it's full and I'm trying to run with it in the Sahara Desert! Waiting for gaiters to arrive - they hopefully will keep the sand out of my trainers and minimise the inevitable blisters. It's starting to seem a bit more real as kit starts to be ordered.


No comments: