Sunday 31 August 2008

Lots of miles and some mental training

This has been a high mileage week, as planned. Started off with the Fleetwood half marathon which I deliberately ran slowly - about 2 minutes per mile slower than usual for 2 reasons. Firstly I am training using a heart rate monitor keeping my heart rate between 130 and 140,; this will give me a good base level of endurance fitness. Secondly I was using the "race" as the first part of a long run and ran home making a total distance of just over 24 miles. Recovered well and managed to carry on with the rest of my training programme that week. Saturday, however, was a real effort. Not sure if that was the effect of the high mileage week - 70 miles in total, the rather muggy weather, the fact that I was running with a back pack for only the second time or the curry and red wine on Friday night - probably a combination of all of these!

That's where the mental training came in. It would have been very easy to cut that run short and call it a day. However, that won't be possible half way through the 50 mile day in the Sahara, unless I don't finish the whole event which is not part of my plan. I am sure there will be times when I will wonder why I am doing it and will want to stop, so mentally difficult days like yesterday when I have to push myself to continue are all part of the mental toughness that will be needed.

Looking forward to a low mileage week and actually played 9 holes of golf and haven't run today. Need to have this week to recharge batteries as am planning two high mileage running events on the next two Sundays - more in future blogs.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Hi Steve
Just logged onto your blog.Think you deserve a chicken or two....
Anthony B