Sunday 19 October 2008

BACK TO THE RAIN


What a difference a day makes! On Friday despite only running 7 miles I had to carry water with me. Despite setting off early the temperature had reached the high 20s by the time I got back and I was covered in sweat which was washing the very essential sun cream down my face and into my eyes - very sore and irritating. Yesterday it was windy and the temperature struggled to get into double figures. My face was again covered in water - but this time pure rain water as no need for sun cream. On Friday I was running on dry dusty sand with tracks strewn with volcanic rocks. Yesterday I was splashing my way along muddy footpaths.

Managed another high mileage week (68 miles) although not quite what I had had in mind initially. I had hoped to have a similar week to the previous one with perhaps a slight increase in mileage. Ran 9 miles on Sunday and 12 miles on Monday but felt completely drained. Decided to bring my rest day forward to Tuesday - it was nice to have a lie in rather than getting up to run before it was too hot; the rest did me good. Felt back to normal by Wednesday and so ran 15 miles, followed by 13 on Thursday and a final run in Tenerife of 7 on Friday. My first run back yesterday was just over 11 to complete the week.

I probably shouldn't say it and will regret it after a few runs in the cold, dark and rain - but I actually enjoyed yesterday's run in the rain more than my other runs last week in the sun! I think I just needed a change from the intense heat which is so very sapping of energy. Anyway whether I like it or not it's down to some British training in autumn(!) weather for a while, although hoping to get back to Tenerife for a week and a bit more hot weather training before the end of the year.

No comments: