Sunday 26 October 2008

RAIN, WIND , MUD AND MORE MUD


Another high mileage week completed in horrible weather. Really pleased with progress as started with a 20 mile run on Sunday and finished with 25.5 on Saturday, and both runs carrying my back pack which I will be using in the MdS, with about 9 or 10 lbs of weight.

In between I had a rest day on Monday, 6miles on Tuesday and 11.5 on each of Wednesday and Thursday, before a further rest day on Friday. Total distance was 74 miles - and now looking forward to a rest week, relatively speaking!

For those who know the Fylde Coast my run on Sunday set off from home, out to the path around De Vere and across Marton Mere and out to the motorway. Then ran to Ballam and ended up on the sea front at Lytham. Ran through St Annes and bought some more water to top up my supplies before running along the beach to Squires Gate. Then made my way back via Highfied Road, Cherry Tree Road and Preston Old Road, finishing with the track round De Vere and then to home.

Yesterday I took part in the Long Distance Walking Association 23 miles "Bottoms Up", taking in Hoghton Bottoms, Salmesbury Bottoms and the surrounding fells. The weather was awful - strong winds, heavy rain for a lot of the run and as most of it was off road a lot of mud, and then some more. I don't want to see a field or a stile for a long time. Initially tried to pick my way through the worst areas but eventually realised it was a waste of time and so just ran through whatever was in front of me - coming up over shoes and ankles in cold water and mud (the photo is of my sand coloured shoes at the end). Had instructions for the route but still managed to get lost on a few occasions so the 23 miles ended up as 25.5. Nearly ended up without instructions as had forgotten to take anything to protect my map etc from the rain and by 14 miles was rapidly deteriorating to pulp! Will be forever grateful to the walker who gave me his protected copy or I might still be out on the fells.

The main item on the news last night was about runners stranded on fells in Lake District taking part in marathon up there. Think they must have had worse weather but can imagine what it must have been like having run on the fells yesterday and just hope everyone is OK.

No comments: