Sunday 18 January 2009

Good week - bad breakfast!

Was really pleased with my last run of the week yesterday. It was 18.5 miles with no back pack and running very slowly. Odd to say was pleased as a relatively short distance and often run with pack and often at a faster pace. However, the run followed 34.5 miles the previous day in 8 hours with a pack weighing slightly more than I will be carrying at the start of the MdS and probably about 2.5 kgs more than I will be carrying for the long run. In addition I only had just over 3 hours to recover before heading out to a Sportsman's dinner at my golf club. Didn't get back until nearly 1a.m. and slept badly. Was just about nodding off when disturbed by a text message (my brother Dave had just arrived in Shanghai and seems to have quickly forgotten there is a time difference!) Couldn't get back to sleep as my legs were uncomfortable after the long session that day and eventually got up at 4a.m, having not sleep, and had a cup of tea and a Brufen! So the night mimicked nights in Sahara as I understand sleep is often disturbed due to discomfort, wind and unstable tents and tent mates snoring (not to mention other of their less desirable noises!).

The run was also good because on Thursday I was exhausted after a 13 mile run - had planned 15. Felt completely drained and was seriously considering a couple of days rest. Was contemplating a glass or two of wine on Thursday night when I decided I would plan for a run and get things ready for an early start - although still not convinced I would be up for it. Alarm set at 6.45 and pitch black and very tempted to roll over and have a lie in. Am glad I didn't as I will look back to these few days when I am struggling during MdS, as there are bound to be days when I am tired out and wonder how I will manage a run the following day. And what was the most encouraging part of the 18.5 mile run was that it felt effortless and at the end I felt I could have carried on, or gone for a further run later that day!

Have now planned my provisional menu for the week. Already been altered as on Saturday I had the Expedition Hot Cereal and Mango breakfast - it may be nice for some but not for me, so will have to find alternative.

So that's another week of high volume (93 miles) and high quality training (a tempo run and an interval session), as well as two weights sessions in the gym, and a week closer to the start. Am looking forward to a much quieter week now as part of my programme of 3 heavy training weeks and then a lighter week. Am glad have gone for this approach as it is not only a good idea to avoid injury and illness but is psychologically important to have a planned lighter week and a chance to ease off.

Rewarded myself last night for the 3 heavy weeks of training with a Jameson and then some red wine with my take away Indian meal!

No comments: