Saturday 24 January 2009

RUNNING NAKED



I downloaded my kit list to the forum used by a lot of us who are running the MdS yesterday and quickly got a reply from someone who wanted to know if I was running naked! I certainly don't want to get sunburn on previously unexposed parts of my anatomy and it wouldn't be a pretty sight, so the answer was no. My list had only included what was in my rucksack and not what I was wearing! I had however forgotten to include the spare clothes that I will be carrying with me - although there are very few of these - 1 pair of leggings, 1 Tyvek suit (looks like those used by crime scene investigators and used at night to keep warm), possibly 1 long sleeve top for night time and 1 extra pair of socks. Have managed to keep my total weight to about 9.5kgs. There are a few additions before I have finished so should manage to meet my target of no more than 10kgs - before water.

Have enjoyed a low mileage week of running - just over 30 miles and 2 gym sessions. This is my planned reduced week which allows me to recover physically and mentally. I start my last high mileage full 3 week period next week. After that there is another low mileage week, before building up the mileage again. However there will only be 2 weeks - with the second one in Tenerife - before I start a 3 week taper which should hopefully see me ready for the start of the MdS 2009 which is 9 weeks tomorrow.

The dogs have enjoyed the fact that I have done less miles as they are able to run with me a bit more. Unfortunately Della who has been my running companion for 8 years is starting to age and is really not up to anything more than a very short run. BB is just getting old enough now to be able to increase the miles without damaging her young bones and soft tissues, so she is taking over, leaving Della (the one lagging behind in the picture) a bit long in the face when I set off.

No comments: