Sunday 11 January 2009

ITV 4 PROGRAMME - REALITY CHECK - BRING IT ON!





Was just settling down to a quiet evening on Wednesday when Alistair phoned to let me know ITV4 was about to show programme re last year's Marathon des Sables. Left quick message on MdS forum site, texted a few friends and family and sat down to watch. Cherith also watched it with me - not sure it did a lot for her apprehension about what I am about to take on. Good reality check but above everything else made me want to get out there and experience it and do it.

101 lessons to be learned from the programme:-

1. It is going to be very tough
2. Good cameraderie with plenty of banter and support
3. It is going to be very tough
4. Good cameraderie with plenty of banter and support
.
.
93. Prepare - a number of those featured admitted that they had not prepared properly and had underestimated the event. Has spurred me on to continue my high mileage, high quality training
94. Organise - some of those taking part seemed to have no method in their packing of the bags with food just shoved in any old how. Need to make absolutely sure that everything is packed so that it can easily be found.
95. Reduce weight - one of the competitors had a pack weight of 15.5 kgs - seems totally over the top. One of those on the programme had the same type of food that I will be taking but had it in its original packaging - by putting it into zip-lock bags each pack is reduced by about 20g in weight. With 6 breakfasts, 6 main course and 6 pudding that adds up to 360g - lots of other ways to reduce weight and determined to be less than 10kgs when I start.
96. Pace - one of the main guys featured was running up the sand hills on the first day. I intend to walk uphill throughout the event. However, based on what I saw I realise it will be important to take it steady on first day particularly to get used to the heat, the terrain and planning water intake etc.
97. It's not just about cardiovascular fitness - getting up and down those sand dunes will take a lot out of the legs - need to get into gym more and do lots of squats!
98. It's not just about cardiovascular fitness and leg strength - toughness - physical and mental will be essential.
99. It is going to be very tough
100.Good cameraderie with plenty of banter and support
101. I am determined to cross that finishing line and pick up my medal - not sure about the kiss from the French ex foreign legion race director!

That has all spared me on with my training. Slightly lower mileage this week than planned (about 81) although some good quality sessions and the back to back sessions were slightly shorter but a lot tougher.

On Friday I trained along the Ribble Way Walk. My plan was walking only with a full weight backpack. Good job I hadn't planned to run as it would have been difficult most of the time. Lot of the way was walking through thick wet mud in cow and horse churned fields on uneven ground. It was like walking through treacle and the squelching sound as my feet came out of the mud made me think I was about to loose my shoes! As well as this thick treacly mud there were long stretches where there was a superficial layer of mud which made it like an ice skating rink and my feet were sliding in all directions. Didn't appear on Dancing on Ice last night as my inelegant performance on the mud would have certainly ruled me out.

Yesterday was a training session on the beach. Did not work out quite as planned. The first thing when setting off from Lytham was an inability to get onto the beach due to sheets of ice - not sure I can ever remember seeing so much ice on a beach. After just over 8.5 miles the tide had not gone out far enough and had to turn round. Decided to head back with intention of doing a few more miles once I got back to the car if I wanted to do the planned 22 miles. As I turned round it was like walking into a brick wall as the wind was so strong! It was almost as quick to walk as to run and so decided to conserve some energy and walked most of the way back.

Managed to do about 6.5 miles of my eventual 17 miles in sand dunes. I know not as steep or as long as in Sahara and totally different sand texture - but at least it was better than those taking part who live in the Midlands or London will have on their doorstep. Deliberately picked the steepest and longest sections and at times had to use all fours to get up. Actually quite enjoyed it - made a change from same pace running - and on the way back protected me from the wind a bit.

The weather was freezing cold and made worse by the wind. Three years ago to the day I was in Antarctica waiting for the weather to improve to make it safe to fly out. Ironic to think that while training for Sahara I was wearing some of the clothing that I was wearing when I ran the Ice Marathon! Got back to the car after 17 miles and although I felt OK as far as legs etc were concerned decided to call it a day as what I really needed was to get warm, get a hot drink and a good hot shower!

11 weeks today - will be doing 1st stage - bring it on!

No comments: