Saturday 14 March 2009

HEAT CHAMBER AND GAITERS














Well, I've had two sessions this week in the heat chamber at Liverpool University. Interesting and also physically and psychologically helpful. The first session on Wednesday was at a modest 31 C and carrying about 7kgs, and the second one yesterday was with the temperature cranked up to 38 C and carrying nearer 10kgs. Did 40 minutes on the treadmill both days and my aim was to keep my pulse at my endurance level - between 130 and 140. Managed to do that fairly well and did around 5K (3 miles) each day.

Had been advised I would have to stop if core temp reached 39.5C. Didn't happen, although wouldn't have been absolutely sure during the run as the probe fell out (thank God!). However checked at end of session and had only gone up very slightly to 38.3 C. The other good feature was that my weight at the end of the run was exactly the same as at the start, so although I was sweating a lot I was also managing to replace my fluids adequately.

Two more sessions planned for next week and am on Friday am meeting up with two other guys who are using the heat chamber and going out to the Sahara for the MdS in 2 weeks. It will be good to have met up with some of the other people I will be with before arriving at Gatwick. Met Russel, who is running, today to do an ECG for him. (Stress as it was reported as abnormal, although changes were due to being very fit and thin, but managed to get ECHO cardiogram for him this morning so he is OK to continue. Not sure he slept very well last night.)

Have had a frustrating week trying to sort out the gaiters for my shoes. The gaiters have velcro sown in at the lower border and the matching strip of velcro has to be attached to the shoe. I approached Timpsons in Tesco store a few weeks ago and was told there would be no problem in glueing and sewing the velcro to the shoe. So while in Tenerife I ran in the shoes to break them in. Didn't want to attach velcro before I went out there as dirt on it would make the seal less secure. Dropped the shoes of on Sunday, and when I phoned up on Monday realised they were not as confident as they had made out. I spoke to a shoe repairer in Yorkshire who has done shoes for others who are taking part in MdS and then explained to Timpsons what I wanted doing. Checked on Thursday and found they had sent them to another store where there was someone with more experience. Spoke to them and put them in touch with the guy in Yorkshire. Was told "no problem" and shoes would be ready after 4pm on Friday.

When I collected the shoes it was obvious they had made a mess of the job. It isn't possible to sew the velcro all the way round, so the trick is to glue it all the way round and sew it where possible for additional adherence. The young bloke who did it decided he would just attach the velcro where it needed sewing (see photos) and a s a result the gaiter will not fit tightly all around the shoe and will let sand in where it is not secured! The point is to keep all the sand out (as far as possible) as the sand will trash my feet.

Having had a good look at the shoes have decided to add another strip off velcro to run the whole way round the shoe, but just glued. Will then be able to attach the gaiter to the glued and sewn velcro where possible and to the additional strip in the other areas. Hope it works, as this is critical. It just shows that no matter how much forward planning you do and how thorough you are, it is always possible to be messed about when you are relying on someone else who proves to be incompetent.

As well as the above have done some training - tapered down to about 25 miles plus a few weight and core muscle sessions. Have also done two talks about my Antarctic Marathon and raised about £300 for my charity, The Happy House Project for the Children of Watamu.

Last week coming up.

No comments: