Wednesday 25 March 2009

PACKED, READY FOR OFF BUT ...COLD







Bags packed, everything organised and just filling in final few hours before getting on first of 4 trains to get me to Gatwick. When I laid out all my food and kit I wondered how they would all go into the rucksack. Have repackaged all the food, as this makes it lighter and more compact. The new bags have then been rolled up to expel all air and then wrapped in cling film to keep them compressed. All the food has been put into bags for each day and have between 2600 and 3100 calories per day. Would love to take more but that just adds to the weight and am just over 10kgs, so don't want any more. Have made up one extra bag with a few deserts and cereal bars which I can dip into if necessary. Whatever I do I mustn't start to raid bags for future days.

Somehow with everything compressed I have managed to squeeze all my food and kit into my 30 litre bag. Will have to get fuel tablets and distress flare in as well - pick those up when get to Sahara. Fortunately the bag will become lighter and less densely packed on each consecutive day.

Have done no real training since last Friday - all my time and effort has been spent packing, repacking and compiling food and kit list on Excel to produce on Saturday on the admin. day.

Had a great time at weekend with a farewell party for family and some friends. Really enjoyable and I will definitely be recalling the memories when I hit some low points next week.

I can't believe it has happened but developed a sore throat over weekend and now have a streaming cold. I can't remember when I last had a cold and am not impressed by the timing! Feel OK in myself and so should not stop me from going ahead but would prefer it not to have arrived just now - although better than starting next weekend as the event starts.

Hopefully while I am away Cherith will be updating my blog. I am also hoping lots of people will e mail me - need to go to www.darbaroud.com and click on "ecrire aux concurrents / write to competitors" and add my name (entered as Stephen not Steve) and my race number which is 599.

Well almost 3 years of planning, thought, training etc. are now complete - all that is left is to get out there and come what may get to the finishing line.

No comments: